Life Science Rsch Prof 1
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Daly City
Posted on: November 17, 2021
Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research
Professional 1 to perform basic functions and activities involved
in defined research projects, and independently conduct and analyze
About the Lab
In the lab of Dr. Le Cong at Stanford (Dept. of Pathology and Dept.
of Genetics, Wu-Tsai Neuroscience Institute and Stanford Bio-X
Institute), the overarching goal is to develop cutting-edge
gene-editing and single-cell technology to understand complex
diseases, paving the way for precision gene therapies. We integrate
machine learning (ML) and computational tools, and apply the
technologies to disease-relevant models. Some ongoing examples are:
using state-of-the-art CRISPR screens to understand
neuro-immunology in stem cell models; developing single-cell tools
to study disease-driving mutations in patient samples of
Alzheimer's Diseases. In our interdisciplinary team, we pioneered
gene-editing and epigenetics tools, high-throughput CRISPR
screening, and single-cell computational analysis approaches.
Please see more at our lab website: www.conglab.com
Recent work include:
-New Gene-editing Technology
(Nucleic Acid Research 2021, Molecular Therapy 2020, JACS 2019)
-Single-cell and Systems Biology
(ICML 2020, Cell Reports 2019, Cell 2017)
-Stem Cell and Disease Modeling
(Trends in Genetics 2021, Cancer Discovery 2020)
We are a highly innovative team collaborating with expert groups in
immunology, stem cell biology, and neuroscience. This will be a
unique opportunity to learn and grow in research, biotechnology
development, and translational applications.
About the Job
We are looking for highly motivated individuals to join our
laboratory to perform technology-driven research in a dynamic and
exciting environment. A successful candidate will work
independently and collaborate with lab members to engage in
developing gene-editing and single-cell genomics tools, and apply
them to study neuro-degenerative diseases with stem cell and
patient-derived models. The candidate will execute bench (wet lab)
experiments focusing on protein engineering, next-generation
sequencing, and cell culture. The candidate will also be
responsible for some basic lab operations. There will also be
opportunities for computational skills development, such as
bioinformatics analysis. This position offers a rich opportunity to
engage research at the frontier of biotech fields, aiming for next
stage of your career, either in academic or industry.
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in
lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of
experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to
interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer
suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in
collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in
the preparation of written documents.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab
stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide
general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students
on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
- Bachelor's degree life sciences or a related area.
- Knowledge and experience in any of the following fields:
molecular biology, cell biology, genomics, or related biology and
- Good organizational skills, lab notebook practices, and
attention to detail.
- Self-motivated, good communications and the ability to perform
as part of a team.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated
performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science
principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: E
- Requisition ID: 91464 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Daly City , Life Science Rsch Prof 1, Other , Daly City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!