Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Daly City
Posted on: January 11, 2022
Stanford University is seeking a 100% FTE Genetic Counselor to
join the Snyder research lab in the Department of Genetics. The
Snyder lab focuses on the use of multi-omics profiling, including
whole-genome sequencing, for the purposes of better understanding
human disease. In this research role, the genetic counselor would
have a major role in genomic data analysis/variant curation, as
well as obtaining informed consent of research participants
undergoing whole genome sequencing and returning research results.
There will also be opportunities for the genetic counselor to be
involved in the genetic counseling training program at Stanford,
including opportunities to supervise students in variant curation
rotations, participating in the admissions committee, mentoring
students, etc. Depending on the candidate's experience and the
lab's needs, duties may include: some research project coordination
and management, overseeing and maintaining institutional review
board (IRB) protocols, and ensuring that projects in the lab are
carried out according to ethical guidelines.
- Obtaining informed consent for whole genome sequencing and
discussing research findings with participants
- Provide oversight to ensure human subjects research is done
according to ethical guidelines
- Oversee data management for research projects. Develop and
manage systems to organize, collect, report, and monitor data
collection. Extract, analyze, and interpret data.
- Contribute to supervising, training, and/or mentoring new staff
or students, as assigned, potentially including hiring, preparing
or assisting with the preparation of performance evaluations, and
performing related duties, in addition to instruction on project
- Provide leadership in determining, recommending, and
implementing improvements to policies/processes; define best
- Adapt or work out the details of new, nonstandard procedures,
with the supervisor providing only general guidance and
- Interpret, synthesize, and analyze data using scientific or
- Co-author sections of research publications as needed.
- - Other duties may also be assigned.
- MS in Genetic Counseling.
- Variant curation experience.
- Previous experience providing genetic counseling for
patients/research participants undergoing whole-genome
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in a related field and two years of experience in
clinical research, or an equivalent combination of education and
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and database
- Experience with research protocols and regulatory or governing
bodies, which include HIPAA and FDA regulations, Institutional
Review Board requirements, and Good Clinical Practices.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
Society of Clinical Research Associates or Association of Clinical
Research Professionals certification is preferred. May require a
valid California Driver's License.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat and use fine
- Occasionally sit, reach above shoulders, perform desk based
computer tasks, use a telephone and write by hand, lift, carry,
push, and pull objects that weigh up to 40 pounds.
- Rarely kneel, crawl, climb ladders, grasp forcefully, sort and
file paperwork or parts, rarely lift, carry, push, and pull objects
that weigh 40 pounds or more.
- - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or exposure to chemicals,
blood, body fluid or tissues and risk of exposure to contagious
diseases and infections.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
WORK STANDARDS (from JDL):
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
As an organization that receives federal funding, Stanford
University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement that will apply
to all university employees, including those working remotely in
the United States and applicable subcontractors. To learn more
about COVID policies and guidelines for Stanford University Staff,
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4923
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: H
- Department URL: http://genetics.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 92711As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Daly City , Genetic Counselor, Other , Daly City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!