Life Science Research Professional
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Daly City
Posted on: May 4, 2022
The Department of Microbiology and Immunology is seeking a Life
Science Research Professional 1 to perform basic functions and
activities involved in defined research projects, and independently
conduct and analyze experiments as a member for the Yang Lab. Our
research group focuses on understanding the mechanisms responsible
for viral replication and development of new strategies to combat
viral pathogens. We combine chemical biology, medicinal chemistry,
and molecular virology approaches to tackle challenges in both
basic and translational research. Over the past decade, our efforts
have centered on two significant problems: first, addressing the
challenges that limit our current arsenal of antivirals and second,
understanding the specificity and function of host lipids in RNA
virus replication. We are keenly interested in discovery of new
antiviral targets and strategies and leveraging these discoveries
to develop first-in-class small molecule antivirals. We also have a
strong interest in developing or adapting tools from chemistry,
chemical engineering, and biophysics to probe new areas of
The LSRP will perform antiviral assay to characterize the antiviral
activity of small molecules and map the steps of viral replication
cycle affected by small molecules; biochemical and biophysical
assay such as SPR, BLI, alphascreen for target validation;
mutagenesis study to understand the development of antiviral
resistance and interaction of small molecules and target. The LSRP
will work on a team including medicinal chemists, structural and
computational chemists, virologist and biochemists. The desire and
ability to collaborate are essential.
Candidates must be willing to work with pathogenic viruses (e.g.
dengue, zika, Japanese encephalitis virus etc.)
- Plan approach to experiments in support of research projects in
lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory.
- Independently conduct experiments; maintain detailed records of
experiments and outcomes.
- Apply the theories and methods of a life science discipline to
interpret and perform analyses of experiment results; offer
suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and protocols in
collaboration with senior researcher.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new procedures and apply learnings to related research.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in
the preparation of written documents, including procedures,
presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab
stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide
general lab support as needed.
- Assist with orientation and training of new staff or students
on lab procedures or techniques.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
- Bachelor's degree in biological science discipline and at least
1-2 years of relevant laboratory experience.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively with a
- Solid written and verbal communication skills.
Familiarity with the following experimental techniques highly
- Mammalian, insect, and bacteria cell culture and
- Propagation and titering of viruses.
- Standard molecular biology techniques including SDS-page and
western blot analysis, DNA/RNA isolation, RT-qPCR,
- Careful attention to detail is required to perform the
functions of this job as well as an outstanding. ability to
maintain sterile conditions and to communicate with others on the
- Experience in virology and chemical biology study is a
Candidate will need to demonstrate aptitudes in foresight, planning
and ability to organize.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated
performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science
principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
As an organization that receives federal funding, Stanford
University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement that will apply
to all university employees, including those working remotely in
the United States and applicable subcontractors. To learn more
about COVID policies and guidelines for Stanford University Staff,
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: E
- Department URL: http://cmgm.stanford.edu/micro/
- Requisition ID: 93633 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Daly City , Life Science Research Professional, Other , Daly City, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!